If you’re looking for an easy way to enjoy a green Christmas with the whole family then why not try your hand at having a homemade Christmas? This lets you be completely aware of where your gifts and decorations come from because you’ve made them yourself, and you know exactly what to use in order to be as sustainable as you can be!
Having a homemade Christmas is also a great way to reduce your waste by finding materials to upcycle and give a new lease of life, and getting all of the family involved with some fun arts and crafts!
Homemade Christmas Gifts
There are so many simple ways that you can make your own Christmas gifts, from foods to handmade trinkets to keep and cherish, and even homemade Christmas cards to give it a personal touch for each recipient.
If you want to make your own Christmas gifts then something we love at Evolve is making our own candles and upcycling old Evolve product jars into something new to love. One of our customers, the lovely Rebecca Van Cleave, wrote an amazing blog for us talking all about how she upcycles her old empty Evolve products into new projects, including scented candles that make amazing gifts! There is no need to purchase candle making kits with this simple tutorial from Rebecca.
Thank you to Taylor Van Cleave Photography for the beautiful image!
Edible Christmas Gifts
Another great idea is to make your own homemade edible Christmas gifts for everyone to enjoy. These can be something simple such as homemade cookies, wrapped beautifully in recyclable paper tied with string, or even in an upcycled box or jar to make it extra special!
Homemade Christmas Decorations
Instead of repurchasing new Christmas decorations each year, why not try making your own?
A lot of typical Christmas decorations such as tinsel, crackers and glitter are often made from plastic which is either very difficult to recycle or cannot be recycled at all. So not only will hand making your own be much more environmentally friendly, but will also be much more unique and eye catching!
Make Your Own Christmas Crackers
Christmas crackers are often packaged in plastic and filled with small plastic toys that are hard to recycle and will probably get thrown in the bin at some point, so to be more eco-friendly here is a simple way to make your own!
- An A4 piece of recyclable paper
- Cardboard tubes such as empty toilet roll or kitchen roll
- Ribbon or string to tie
- Small homemade treats to hide inside such as wrapped chocolates or handwritten jokes
How To Make:
- Place your A4 paper in a landscape position on the table and position your cardboard tube in the centre, you can cut it to size if necessary!
- At each end of the tube, lightly score your paper with scissors, being careful not to cut through the paper.
- Wrap your paper around the tube, overlapping the edges slightly and securing in place with recyclable tape or a light glue.
- Twist one end of the cracker around and secure in place with your ribbon or string, then fill with your homemade treats and repeat on the other side.
- Then place on your Christmas table for your guests to enjoy!
If you are looking for the perfect gift for a loved one or even yourself this festive season, then pay our Christmas Shop a visit and take a look at our brand new beautifully boxed Christmas beauty gift sets, or read one of our handy gift guides to find to perfect present this year!